Cat Quotes, Memorable Words About Incomparable Creatures
Cat Quotes say a lot about how humans perceive the world and their place in it. Some people think they own their cat. Some people know the truth. Dogs have owners and Cats have staff! Here then is a collection of quotes about those wonderful distinctive beings who so benevolently grace our lives with their presence, Cats.
Some of these Cat Quotes are attributed to famous people, while others border on folklore as they have simply been repeated and passed down from one generation to the next. Most of the cat quotes in this article are slanted in favor of cats. (as it should be, of course!) and while there are no doubt some sayings about cats that are less than flattering, I simply choose to ignore them in true Cat fashion.
Raven, The Cat Lady. >^.^< Meow.
Reverent Cat Quotes
* Humbly, I bend to stroke her silken fur. I am content to be a slave to her.
~ Walter Adolph Roberts
* The cat is such a perfect symbol of beauty and superiority that is seems scarcely possible for any true aesthete and civilized cynic to do other than to worship it.
* In Istanbul I met a man who said he knew beyond a doubt that God was a cat. I asked why he was so sure, and the man said, “When I pray to him, he ignores me.”
* For thirty centuries, from her sacred seat the cat looked down, and crouching at her feet, beheld the race of conquering Pharaohs kneel.
* Cats as a class have never completely got over the snootiness caused by the fact that in ancient Egypt they were worshipped as gods.
*Finally, From Star Trek, The Next Generation, I've included below for you, the ultimate cat quote, from and episode where Data, an android gives instruction to Worf, a Klingon on how to care for his cat Spot.
Lt. Cmdr. Data: [asking Worf to take care of Spot] He will need to be fed once a day. He prefers feline supplement number 25.
Lieutenant Worf: I understand.
Lt. Cmdr. Data: And he will require water. And you must provide him with a sandbox - and you must talk to him. Tell him he is a pretty cat, and a good cat...
Lieutenant Worf: I will feed him.
Lt. Cmdr. Data: Perhaps that will be enough.
So even an artificial life form like Data knows enough to properly praise his cat. And who knows, perhaps one day Klingons will too! So there is hope for the future!
Cat Quotes regarding Cats and Dogs
* Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.
* We have dogs and cats have us.
~Karen L. Overall
* If animals could speak as fabulists have feigned, the dog would be a blunt, outspoken, honest fellow, but the cat would have the rare talent of never saying a word too much.
~Philip Gilbert Hamerton
* The quiet dignity of a cat is sometimes mistaken for aloofness by the uninformed and by dog people. Some would say that these are the same people. We won’t get into that.
~John R. Agnew
* Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through the snow.
~ Jeff Valdez
* Women and cats do as they dammed well please, and men and dogs had best learn to live with it.
~He who shall remain nameless
* Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you.
~Office Cat quoted at water cooler
Assorted Findings Scooped From the Litter Box of Amusing Cat Quotes
* The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat.
* I'm aloof, I like to run around outside, but I also like to curl up in warm spots. I eat fish.
~Megan Coughlin on why she'd make a good cat
* You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat.
~Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio
Cats Make the Rules
Here’s a small sampling of cat quotes acknowledging cats rights to be, well. . .cats! As a Cat Lady myself, I just loved these, because they're all true! Enjoy.
* In a cat’s eye, all things belong to cats.
~Old English Proverb
* Every cat lover knows that a cat cannot be induced either by reason or by affection, to act in accordance with any wishes save its own. Also that cats find malicious amusement in doing what they know they are not wanted to do, and that with an affectation of innocence that materially aggravates their deliberate offense.
~Helen M. Winslow
* A cat doesn’t linger over making it’s desires felt.
* Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.
~ Robert Heinlein
* Cats know how we feel. They don't care, but they know.
* You can't look at a sleeping cat and be tense.
~ Jane Pauley
So many people have said memorable things, it just doesn’t seem right to confine this to one page. So keep an eye out for Cat Quotes II, The Sequel coming soon! Hope you enjoyed these as much as I did researching them for you. Till next time, I’ll leave you with my favorite cat quote.
I've studied many philosophers and many cats.The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior ~Hippolyte Taine
Back from Cat Quotes to Home Page
Back to Top